Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Stories


Just up the road from my home is a field, with two horses in it. From a distance, each looks like every other horse.
But if one stops the car, or is walking by, one will notice something quite amazing.
Looking into the eyes of one horse will disclose that he is blind. His owner has chosen not to have him put down, but has made a good home for him. This alone is amazing.
Listening, one will hear the sound of a bell. Looking around for the source of the sound, one will see that it comes from the smaller horse in the field. Attached to her bridle is a small bell. It lets her blind friend know where she is, so he can follow her.
As one stands and watches these two friends, one sees how she is always checking on him, and that he will listen for her bell and then slowly walk to where she is trusting that she will not lead him astray.
Like the owners of these two horses, God does not throw us away just because we are not perfect or because we have problems or challenges. He watches over us and even brings others into our lives to help us when we are in need.
Sometimes we are the blind horse being guided by God and those whom he places in our lives. Other times we are the guide horse, helping others see God.

A plane took off from Louisville International Airport, and when it reached a comfortable cruising altitude, the captain started his announcements over the intercom. 

"Ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking.  Welcome to Flight Number 254, nonstop from Louisville to Miami.  The weather ahead is good and we expect a smooth and uneventful flight.  So just sit back and relax - OH NOOOOOOOO!"

Silence followed for several minutes. 

Finally the captain came back on the intercom and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry for the earlier scare.  While I was talking, the flight attendant brought me a cup of coffee and spilled it in my lap.  You should see the front of my pants!"

Back in coach, a passenger said to the person next to him, "That's nothing!  He should see the back of mine!"


Walking through the hallways at the middle school where I work, I saw a new substitute teacher standing outside his classroom with his forehead against a locker.
I heard him mutter, "How did you get yourself into this?"
Knowing that he was assigned to a difficult class, I tried to offer moral support.
"Are you okay?" I asked.  "Can I help?"
He lifted his head and replied, "I'll be fine as soon as I get this kid out of his locker."


Several women, each trying to one-up the other, appeared in court, each accusing the others of causing the trouble they were having in the apartment building where they lived.
The judge, with Solomon-like wisdom decreed, "Okay, I'm ready to hear the evidence...I'll hear the oldest first."
The case was dismissed for lack of testimony.


Jake had proposed to young Gina and was being interviewed by his prospective father-in-law.
"Do you think you are earning enough to support a family?" the older man asked the suitor.
"Yes, sir," replied Jake, "I'm sure I am."
"Think carefully now," said Gina's father.
"There are twelve of us..."


I have a friend who filled his car with gas at a self-service gas station.  After he had paid and driven away, he realized that he had left the gas cap on top of his car.  He stopped and looked and, sure enough, it was lost.
Well, he thought for a second and realized that other people must have done the same thing, and that it was worth going back to look by the side of the road since even if he couldn't find his own gas cap, he might be able to find one that fit.  Sure enough, he hadn't been searching long when he found a gas cap.  He tried it on, and it went into place with a satisfying click.
"Great," he thought, "I lost my gas cap, but I found another one that fits.
And this one's even better because it locks..."






No comments:

Post a Comment